Every year, Blue Sky eLearn allows each employee to take paid days off to participate in community service of their choosing. The benefits received from these volunteer activities correlate closely with the benefits of lifelong learning to both the individual and the community.
- It’s good for you! When you focus on someone or something other than yourself it interrupts tension-producing patterns and moods. It can even strengthen your immune system.
- You learn. Both personally and professionally. Volunteering helps develop empathy and many times you’ll develop business and other transferrable skills.
- Unity. People are brought together as they work towards a common goal and it strengthens the community.
- Make a Difference. Every time you volunteer you are making a positive impact on your community.
So how is this similar to being a lifelong learner?
- It’s good for you! As you continue learning you become more confident, more adaptable to change, and are less risk averse. Learning helps you achieve a more satisfying personal life.
- You learn. This is an obvious one, but you may not always realize that personal development can improve your professional opportunities and professional development can help enable personal growth.
- Unity. The more you learn the more you can understand the world around you while developing skills to have a positive impact.
- Make a Difference. Lifelong learning is often voluntary and deliberate – and the more you learn the more you can make a positive impact on your life and those around you.
So what are you waiting for? Spend some time volunteering and learning and see the impact it has.